Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Home Server Part 5

Once again I scourged the internet for an operating system, this time for a server instead of just a desktop. After once again glimpsing at the Windows Server editions, I decided that the $240 minimum (Server 2003) was not very practical just for software.

I think it's worth noting that even though I generally prefer Open Source Software for several reasons, I have no real problem with Windows or Mac. It simply did not seem practical.

So I looked at a couple of the more popular Linux flavor options:

  • Ubuntu Server
  • Fedora
  • SUSE
After looking at them I figured it would be the simplest to try Ubuntu Server (8.04) since I was already running Ubuntu.

I also bought a Linksys 5-port switch ($15) to connect to the router I have upstairs along with two 10ft and one 50ft cat-6 cables.


My running total is - $66


No comments:

Post a Comment